We live on that earth that is full of beauty, charm, and adventure. There is no end to the experience we can have. But one thing is obvious, and that is you have not enjoyed vacations to the fullest if you haven’t visited Shillong Hill Station. It is perfect for the people who want peace in their life and for a few days they want to disconnect themselves from office life as well as social life. And for those also who want to live a pleasant experience. At Shillong Hill Station, you can explore nature at its best and watch the hills with the green cover, and the clouds exaggerated flowers at that place.
Shillong is the Hill Station is situated in the northeast of India. Shillong is the capital of Meghalaya, and the district headquarter of East Khasi Hills. As per its name, Shillong means “the residence of clouds.”. About Shillong Hill Station, It is said that the rolling hills around the town reminded the European settlers of Scotland. Hence, this Hill Station is referred to as the “Scotland of the East.” Shillong Hill Station provides you with relief from the sizzling summer and known for the soothing climate. This Hill Station is enclosed by pine trees, numerous waterfalls, crystal clear lakes, hill mountain peaks, and especially for its people and culture.
History Of Shillong Hill Station
The name of Shillong come from Lei Shyllong; an Idol worshipped at the Shillong Peak. During the British Administration, Shillong was the capital of whole Assam, but later a separate state Meghalaya was formed. At that time, David Scot was the servent of East India Company and working for Governor-General North-East Frontier. During the Anglo-Burmese War, the British authorities felt the need for a road that connects Sylhet and Assam. The route was to pass over from the Khasi and Jaintia Hills.
Thus the interest of Britishers towards Khasi and Jaintia Hills began. In early 1829, Khasis have started a revolt against the foreign occupation on their land which long-lasted till 1833. After the denial of the Khasis, a political agent was posted in the hills, with headquarters at Sohra (Cherrapunjee). But this was enabled to happy British at that time. At that point, they moved out of Shillong and Shillong has steadily grown in size since it was made the local station of the Khasi and Jaintia Hills in 1864 by the British. Shillong remained the capital of undivided Assam till the creation of the modern state of Meghalaya on 21 January 1972, when Shillong became the capital of Meghalaya, and Assam moved its capital to Dispur in Guwahati.
Famous Destination Of Shillong Hill Station
There are many memorable and romantic destinations for newly married couples and tourists who mostly visited by people all across the globe. The geographical area of Shillong Hill Station is stretched around 64.36 square km and has an approx elevation of 4908 – 6499 ft. Have a look at the travel map of Shillong Hill Station, Meghalaya.
Let’s discuss the main attractions of Shillong Hill Station
1. Elephant Fall: These Falls are situated around 12 km from the city. Elephant Falls is a three-tier fall with water surging from big rocks and meeting in one place. These falls are known as the Wei Laplam Falls and Wir Phang Falls. The local Khasi people mention this place as Ka Kshaid Lai Pateng Khohsiew.
In 1897, Britishers named this waterfall as Elephant falls because a rock near this fall resembles as an elephant. Later in the earthquake, it is shattered.
2. Lady Hayadri Park: It is the most famous destination of Shillong Hill Station. This park is dedicated to the first lady, the territory that is Lady Hayadri. This park comprises of a wide variety of flora and fauna plus a mini zoo present inside it.
You can find colorful fishes, an extensive range of birds, and hundreds of reptiles present over there. Apart from strolling around, this place is right for wildlife photographers.
3. Shillong Peak: If you have to watch Shillong mesmerizing view from the highest point; then this place is for you only.
By trekking or by the standard mode you can reach this place. This place is elevated around 1966 m above sea level and the highest point of Meghalaya.
4. Wards Lake: It is a human-made lake which is enclosed by fruitful gardens and also known as Pollack’s Lake. This spellbinding lake is famous for barbecue among travelers.
5. Golf Course: In 1898, Britisher introduced to golf at this place. This fantastic golf course in Shillong Hill Station as outlined by C. K Rhodes and Captain Jackson and now known for the first 18 hole golf course in India.
It is likewise called the Gleneagles of the East on account of its enchanting characteristics.
6. Butterfly Museum: Situated in the East Khasi Hills District, this exhibition hall houses a tremendous number of butterflies.
The gallery additionally helps in the raising of the butterflies with the goal that the biological uniformity can be kept up. There are bugs and moths of inconceivable size additionally present in this museum.
7. Mawsynram: Presently, this is the wettest place on the earth equally fighting with Cherapungi. The annual rain received by this place is 12m. Mawsynram, ShillongThe graciousness of mother nature can be effectively observed and experienced with the outside air, blue skies cascades, and lavish greenery.
8. Don Bosco Museum: It is the largest museum in Asia with indigenous culture with the beautiful tradition of the North East. It has seven layers of building and rises above the skyline of Shillong and 16 galleries which depicts the artifacts, paintings, figures significant to the Shillong culture.
The centrality of the Don Bosco Museum is noticeable from the way that it has been visited by famous individuals from Rajya Sabha just as the princess of Thailand.
9. Khasi Hills: It was named after the Khasi dynasty of Meghalaya. The Khasi Hills are a piece of the Garo-Khasi extend, and a portion of the more significant Patkai slope, a progression of hills found over the Indo-Myanmar outskirt in the upper east district of India.
Khasi HillsThis place profound, fertile valleys and funnel-shaped pinnacles, these slopes are well known for lodging the Sohra or Cherrapunjee. The Khasi Hills are an incredible intermingling of rich woodlands, unending verdant fields, high hills encompassed by lively mists, cascades, and streams coursing through the rivers, and old stone monuments.
10. Umiam Lake: From 15 km north of Shillong, Umiam lake is present, which serves as the reservoir to the state. In early 1960, it was created by damming the Umiam river mostly used as hydroelectric power. The panoramic Umiam Lake is confined by luscious green East Khasi hills that form best sights for nature-lovers in the country. The sunrise at the lake is the best treat to view and shouldn’t be missed.
11. Nohkalikai Falls: These falls are the tallest diving waterfall of India. Present at the height of 1115m above the sea level.
Nohkalikai Falls is filled by the rainwater collected on a small plateau and a decrease in power from December – February. Below the falls, there has formed a dipping pool with refreshing green color water.
Also Read: Pahalgam – Hill Station Of Jammu And Kashmir
12. David Scot Trail: The most popular route among trekkers at Shillong which is named after a British Officer, David Scot (mention in the History). This trekking route is stretched around 16 km.
One can start the trek from any point in the curious Mawphlang town, experience the twisting course over the slopes and valleys, rest at the famous resting spot called Ka Kor Ka Shonmai, appreciate the tomb of Camilla, click photos of the balancing span over the River Umiam and stop by the few Khasi towns coming to get notification from their society stories.
13 Thangsning Fall: Thangsning Falls is popularly known as “Kshaid Lwai” in the local language is the best place to experience the beautiful scenery of nature during summer.
It is also an attractive place for you to spend your picnic time with your family and friends in winter. This remarkable place is the perfect place for people who love to explore and adventure especially youngsters
15. Spread Eagle Falls: Situated in the East Khasi District, 6km from Shillong Cantonment, the Spread Eagle Falls are viewed the most in Shillong. The glimmering cascade is called as Sati Falls or Urkaliar on account of the conviction that Ka Liar slipped into it.The grand waterfall spouts down soak slopes, transcending three sides into a gigantic pool of water which is perfect for the vacationers to sit and longe. The Spread Eagle Falls, which looks an eagle with its wings spread wide, is a famous picnicking site among local people of the area.
16. Laitumkhrah Church: The Cathedral of Mary Help of Christians, is also called as Laitumkhrah Church is one of the most lovely places of worship of Shillong. It is named after Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ. This is a holy place for Christians and other religion people also visit here.
There are many other places which are not mentioned above you, can go according to your interest.
Modes of reaching Shillong Hill Station
Shillong has a pleasant climate consistently and can be in this manner, visited whenever. However, this slope station is known for its remarkable excellence uniquely during the season of storms which proceed from June till September.
Within the Shillong city, there is no airport present, so the closest airport is located in Umroi, around 35 km away from Shillong. However, most travelers favor The Gopinath Bordoloi Airport of Guwahati, situated at a separation of 128 km.
The nearest railway station from Shillong hill station is located in Guwahati at a distance of 104 km.
Shillong is connected to Guwahati with the National Highway 40. Taxis and ola cabs are readily available from Guwahati to reach Shillong.
Hotel Arrangement At Shillong Hill Station
Shillong Hill Station is filled with several private hotels and tourist lodges. The hotels are divided into various categories like star ratings, facilities providing you, and budget hotels so that the travelers can choose the best hotel according to budget and convenience. We have delivered the list of hotels in Shillong Hill Station for your convenience; please have a look.
|Hotel Name||Distance from Shillong||Starting Price(INR)*|
|55 Pillar House||0.0 km||1,300 – 1,900|
|Cafe Shillong||1.3 km||2,850 – 3,760|
|Oyo Infinity Inn||0.0 km||1,200 – 1,700|
|The Saad Hotel||0.4 km||1,500 – 2,000|
|Hotel Sapphire||1.2 km||2,700 – 5,000|
Would it be cheesy if I told you about Shillong Hill Station is the most popular among Honeymoon Couples?? The best present you should give her is a lifetime of adventure. Enjoy holiday packages at Shillong and create beautiful memories with your life partner.