What do I tell you about Tawang Hill Station? There are much better things ahead than the ones we leave behind, that I can say about Tawang. Understand something like between Tawang hills and valleys you will find rest and endurance. When you ask Indians about Hill Stations, instantly they say you need to visit Shimla, Kullu Manali, Nainital, Gulmarg in north or Ooty, Kerela, Darjeeling, etc. When asked about North East India, nobody has a clue about it and Northeast not safe, small-small Hill Stations are there Kya dekhoge Udhar!! Undoubtedly, North East Tourism is not famous like others, but you can have an exposure of breathtaking nature. Tawang Hill Station is one of them.
Tawang Hill station Is known for Monpha tribes; therefore, this is known as the ‘Land of Monphas.’ Tawang is situated in the West Kameng in Tawang District of Arunachal Pradesh. It is present near to the Indo – Bhutan Border. This place gives you a complete cut off from city life and gives immense pleasure of happiness plus the vibes of people in Tawang is on the other level.
History Of Tawang Hill Station
Initially, Tawang was part of Tibet. A Monastery was located in this hill station known as Tawang Monastery in Twang territory. This was founded by Mera Lama Lodre Gyatso in 1681 thus making this hill station a significant centre for Buddhist learnings. The sixth Dalai Lama, Tsangyang Gyatso, was born in Tawang. In 1914, the Simla accord defined the Mc Mohan line, which was the new boundary between Tibet and British India. By this treaty, Tibet renounced several hundred square miles of its territory, including Tawang, to the British, but China did not recognise it. Since the British were unable to get China’s acceptance, the Tibetans regarded the MacMahon line invalid.
The Tibetan government registered a formal complaint against Britain. This complaint pulled the attention of the British, who re-examined the Indo-Tibetan border and rediscovered that Tibet had ceded Tawang to British India. Tibet refused to surrender Tawang, partly because of the importance attached to the Tawang Monastery. After the outburst of the war between China and Japan in 1941, the government of Assam undertook forwarding policy measures to constrict the North-East Frontier Agency (NEFA) area, which later became Arunachal Pradesh. It took 40 years to complete Tawang Monastery. The Chinese invasion in 1962 damaged it. Tawang again came under Indian administration. From there it is part of India till date.
Main Attractions Of Tawang Hill Station
The geographical area of Tawang Hill Station is stretched around 2085 square km and has an elevation of 2,699 m above the sea below. Please have a look at the cultural travel and Buddhism map of Tawang hill station.
- Tawang Monastery: The most significant monastery of India is the Tawang monastery and it the second largest monastery of the world. It is believed that Mera Lama established this monastery. The atmosphere of this place is very peaceful. This place is famous for the celebration of festivals and a panoramic view of the valley.
- Pankang Teng Tso Lake: Enumerated as the Most sightseeing Lake of Tawang. You have to travel a distance of 17km to reach this lake. Scrooping birds, peaceful ambience, the auspicious fragrance of wet earth and sparkling lake water makes the entire lake look very lustrous.
- Bum La Pass: It is situated around 17 km away from Twang and located at the height of 16,500 ft above the sea level. You have to travel through a very typical and tuff route, which is quite adventurous and enrapturing for tourists.
- The Tawang War Memorial: This war memorial is built to solemnise the sacrifices of those 2140 Indian soldiers who lost their precious lives in the Indo-Chinese war in 1962.
- Nuranang Falls: These falls are also known as Jung Falls or Bong Bong falls. In spite of being so spectacularly ravishing, this waterfall is known by very few of the travellers. It is located on the road connecting Bomdila with Tawang.
- Giant Buddha Statue: This statue can be seen from everywhere in Tawang. It is inside the Tawang Monastery.
Modes of Reaching Tawang Hill Station
April to October is the quality time to visit Tawang. It can get freezing during the winter season.
When going via air, the closest residential aeroplane terminal to Tawang is the Salonibari Airport in Tezpur, and from that point, it takes around six hours of drive time to reach Tawang. The aeroplane terminal at Tezpur is practically well-associated with most different urban areas in India, including, Kolkata, Guwahati, New Delhi, Bangalore, and that’s just the beginning. In any case, the majority of these make a stopover at Guwahati air terminal. You can likewise get off at Guwahati air terminal, known as the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport which is around 480 km away from Tawang. The Guwahati air terminal is a bustling air terminal and most voyagers to upper east travel to Guwahati before heading further into top eastern.
Tawang does not have its very own railroad station, so you would need to head out to a rail line station that is situated close it. At that point, you could employ a taxi, or take transport to reach Tawang. You can reach Guwahati railroad station from any piece of the nation, and after that, you can make a trip from Guwahati to Tawang by the street. This is probably the best choice for coming to Tawang. Then again you can likewise make a beeline for Tezpur Railway Station, and pass by road from here to Tawang.
You can cover the more significant part of the upper east states by street, thus coming to Tawang from anyplace ought not to be an issue. You can take a Guwahati to Tawang excursion and appreciate the magnificence of the field, a long ways from your ordinary city streets and the stunning traffic. It takes very nearly 14 hours from Guwahati to Tawang, while it takes around 15 hours from Shillong to Tawang.
Hotel Arrangement at Tawang Hill Station
There are numerous little spending hotels present in adjacent zones. You can either discover on the web or from the visit guide concerning cafes as indicated by your spending limit. A portion of the low scope of hotels is portrayed underneath for your solace.
|Hotel Name||Distance from Tawang||Starting Price(INR)*|
|Tawang Regency||1.9 km||5,437|
|Treebo Trip Yangsel||1.7 km||1,300|
|Dolma Khangsar Guest House||0.0 km||2,250|
|Buddha Hotel||0.0 km||4,850|
|Dondrub Homestay||1.7 km||1,680|
The prices may vary due to availability of the room and as per your requirements. Please may check before bookings.
In the end, remember that the best view comes after the hardest climb. Just remember this saying when you visit Tawang Hill Station. ?