When you reach the height of 3500 ft by taking clouds as your friends, the only thing which you will hear at that time is your heartbeat. There is only one place in the world like this which is Scotland and when we talk about India just remember one name that is Coorg Hill Station -The Scotland and coffee capital of India. One word which comes in our mind while describing Coorg is its hospitality. Coorg is all about its people, culture, history and its warm hospitality. I believed that whenever you visit any hill-station that journey describes your peace and pursuit of happiness.
Coorg is another name for Kodagu is a rural district situated in the southwest state of India that is Karnataka. Kodagu is present in the eastern slops of western ghats. Coorg is the place that has mountains with a perpetually hazy landscape. Coorg Hill Station is rich in natural resources which included timber and spices. The people include Kodavas and other ethnic groups. Kodava and Malayalam are the most spoken languages there. Coorg Hill Station is the place to be for all nature lovers.
History Of Coorg Hill Station
Originally Coorg state was the part of the Union of India which has existence between 1950 to 1956 and it was administratively separate from Karnataka. But later Coorg State was abolished on 1 November 1956. and its territory was merged with Mysore State later renamed as Karnataka in 1973.
Before the 19th century, The Kodavas were the inhabitants and agriculturists in Kodagu. The Haleri Dynasty was an offshoot of the Keladi Nayakas which ruled Kodagu between 1600 and 1834. Later the British ruled Kodagu from 1834 after the Coorg war and the East India Company annexed Kodagu. Thus the people of Kodagu accepted British rule peacefully. British rule led to the establishment of educational institutions, the introduction of scientific coffee cultivation, better administration and improvement of the economy.
Places To Visit In Coorg Hill Station
The geographical area of Coorg has stretched around 4012 square km and elevated at 3000 ft. It is one of the top-rated hill station destinations in India. The most eye-catching tourist’s spots in Coorg are mentioned in this image depicted below.
Let’s discuss these places one by one
- Abbey Falls Madikeri: It is located 8 km from Madikeri. It is a popular waterfall in the navel of coffee plantations. The hanging bridge is the point of observation at this place. The water coming down from the cliff at the height of 70 feet is an amazing view for the travelers.
- Raja’s Seat: It is a park filled with flowers and artificial fountains with light music. Watching the sunset with mesmerizing valley view with light and sweet music making the park more and more popular among travelers.
Iruppu Waterfalls, Brahmagiri: It is a waterfall situated in the Brahmagiri range with lush landscape. It is a freshwater cascade featuring a natural pool situated at a distance of 48 km from Virajpet on the highway to Nagarhole.
- Tadiandamol Peak: It is the highest mountain peak in Coorg, at an elevation of 1748m and a third hight peak in Karnataka. This place is now the center of attraction for trekkers and hikers with natural views and forested areas.
- Nagarhole National Park: It is also known as Rajiv Gandhi National Park filled with wildlife resort. a wide range of animals can be seen here and around 250 variety of birds has home here. It is nearer to Bandipur National Park. Photographers will like this place the most.
- Omkareshwar Temple: It is the renowned Hindu temple of god shiva with 4 minarets, a dome & a fish-filled pond.
- Pushpagiri: It is the highest peak of the Pushagiri Wildlife sanctuary. This place is popular for hiking. It is located in the Somwarpet Taluk.
- Dubare elephant camp: Dubare is known for its elephant camp, a forest camp situated on the bank of the river Kaveri in the district of Kodagu. This place is also famous for rafting. It is an adventure for visitors as the elephants are trained on-site.
- Honnamana Kere Lake: This is the biggest lake of Coorg which has both historical as well as spiritual significance. It is around 6 km away from Somwarpet town of Coorg. It is named after the goddess Honnamana. You will see coffee plantations, man-made sculptures, and hills.
- Mallalli Waterfalls: The Kumaradhara River is the main watercourse for this waterfall. It offers lush scenery with multiple waterfalls. These falls lie within the range of 26 km away from the town of Somwarpet, at the foot of the Pushpagiri Hills.
There are more places which are the center of attraction in Coorg other than those mentioned above like Kumara Parvatha, Bhagamandala, Nilakandi Falls, White river rafting in Barapole river, Namdroling monastery, Gaddige Raja’s tomb, Gothic-style church with a museum on its grounds, etc.
Modes of reaching Coorg Hill station
The temperature of Coorg varies between 15° to 20° and it is said that October to March is the best time for adventure activities especially trekking. March and April are the favored months to experience the valley shrouded in white flowers. You can choose any mode for reaching Coorg according to you.
Coorg does not have an airport of its own which makes Mangalore Airport the nearest civil airhead. The closest airport is at Mangalore (152 km) connected to the major cities of India such as New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad, and Bangalore. Once you are in Mangalore, you can either board a bus or hire a cab to Coorg.
The nearest railway station to Coorg is at Mysore, 95 km away as there no railway station present in Coorg. Mysore Railway Station is well connected to almost all the major cities of India. From Mysore, you can either take a bus or hire a cab.
Coorg is well connected to nearby cities with a smooth and trustworthy bus service. The buses run by Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) are some of the best and most reliable means of transport when it comes to road connectivity to Coorg. The KSRTC buses are known for their efficient service and have very few or no stops in between so please carry your food and water with you to take in between the trip to Coorg. You can catch deluxe KSRTC buses to Coorg from Mangalore, Bengaluru, and Mysore.
Hotels Arrangements At Coorg
For your convenience, we are providing a few hotels near to prime location at a reasonable amount please have a look.
|Hotel Name||Distance from Coorg||Starting Price(INR)|
|Woodstock Villas||1.8 km||3,300 – 4,700|
|Sri Durga Hotel Hill View||0.6 km||1,150 – 1300|
|Three Hills Coorg||11.0 km||3,064|
|Hotel Raj||0.4 km||950 – 1,200|
|Hotel Prestige Residency||1.3 km||750 – 1,000|
The prices mentioned above may vary according to discounts and availability.
At last, we can only say that “Backpack and head to the Coorg Hill Station to get the green therapy, sip the freshly brewed coffee and line like Kodavas”? yeah!!!!
Get more stuff like this
in your inbox
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.