Eiffel Tower is located in Champs de Mars of Paris, France. It is renowned in the world as the most visited attraction of Paris and it remained the tallest man-made structure for 41 years. It remained as the architectural symbol of France and Prais for decades. Initially, the tower was built as a temporary structure but later turned out to be an example for off style architecture.
Eiffel tower is popularly known as ‘Iron Lady’ and you can admire the beauty of its from different locations and views. One of the popular views is from Champ de Mars, which is a large green area that spreads out just below the Eiffel Tower. Also, you can enjoy the picnic on the green grass and take numerous selfies with the tower in the background. You can also take a riverboat or cruise restaurant tour on the Seine River to admire the view.
Let’s discuss interesting fun facts, origin, history, construction details & cultural importance of the Eiffel Tower.
Effiel Tower is designed and constructed by an engineer Alexzander Gustave Eiffel from 1887 to 1889 and that’s why the tower is named after him. It has a height of 324 meters, 1,665 steps and weighs 10,100 tonnes. There are 5 lifts from the Esplanade to the second floor and double lifts from the second floor to the top floor. It took 2 years 2months and 5 days in the completion of the Eiffel Tower, which is an architectural achievement in itself.
Eiffel Tower in Figures:
- 10,100 tons of iron used for the construction of Eiffel Tower
- 2,500,000 rivets
- 20,000 shimmering light bulbs.
- 60 tons of paint used for every renovation.
- 120 antennas perched on the top.
Also Read: 10 Most Beautiful Places To Visit In Paris
Eiffel Tower at a Glance
Eiffel tower is divided into 4 portions: The Esplanade, First floor, Second Floor and Top floor. Three floors of the cultural tower are opened for visitors. Experience the whole new series of emotions and enjoy the breathtaking view of Paris from every floor. Taste delicious food at 58 Tour Eiffel Restaurant. Undoubtedly, your travel tour to Paris is worthless without visiting this place, so let’s explore every floor one by one.
1. The Esplanade: Look upward from the foot area to view the beauty of Iron Lady. It is the area where you start touring Eiffel Tower. Under the 4 iron pillars of the tower, admire the historic view between Trocadero and Ecole Militaire. After that, visit the information desk located on the west side of the pillar and collect all useful info about the tower. Also, you can witness the bust of Gustave Eiffel at the north pillar and enjoy delicious cuisine, drinks and dessert at the Esplanade.
2. First Floor: Enjoy the most romantic dinner with your bae and friends at 58 Tour Eiffel Restaurant. It is down due to renovation work but you can visit a temporary option of dining that is La Bulle Parisienne. Encounter the mesmerizing views of the Champs de Mars, Quai Branly and Trocadero from the first floor. Besides this, view the jaw-dropping transparent architecture of the glass floor and get thrilling experiences on the first floor.
3. Second Floor: This floor is full of amazement. On this floor, you can clearly watch all the famous monuments like the Louver Museum, the bends in the Seine, Montmartre, Grand Palais, Notre Dame, etc. Taste the mouth-watering food at the Jules Verne Restaurant. This floor has many dining options for the whole family.
4. Top Floor: With the help of a glass wall lift, you will reach to the top of the tower. When you will explore this floor, you will discover the office of Gustave Eiffel. Also, you can try champagnes at The Champagne Bar located at the top of the Eiffel Tower.
History Of Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower was built by Gustave Eiffel for the 1889 Exposition Universelle. The reason behind the construction of Eiffel Tower is to memorize the centennial of the French Revolution and to demonstrate the heroism of France to the world. Although it wasn’t meant to last.
‘Emile Nouguier’ and ‘Maurice Koechlin’ are the two chief engineers in Gustave Eiffel’s company which came up with the idea of constructing a very tall tower in June 1884. The project started in early 1884. The turning point in the Eiffel Tower history took place at the 1889 Universal Exposition. There a competition was organized to build an iron tower on the Champ de Mars with a square base, 125 meters wide and 300 meters high. Gustave Eiffel and his team also participated in this competition. Out of 107 proposals, Gustave Eiffel and the team selected.
Thus, it was a temporary construction that was to stay only twenty years. In the past, Hitler ordered the Eiffel Tower to be destroyed during the Second World War. This was the time when Germany occupied France, but later the order of Hilter was not followed.
Best Time To Visit
Indeed, the Eiffel Tower is one of the most visited monuments in the world. Every year it welcomes almost 7 million visitors. From mid-June to the beginning of September is the peak season for visiting Eiffel Tower.
- By Lift: 9:30 am to 11:45 pm & last climbing is before 11 pm
- By Stairs: 9:30 am to 06:30 pm & last climbing is before 6:00 pm
How To Reach Eiffel Tower
- Around 19 km, ‘Paris Orly Airport’ (ORY / LFPO) is located. It is the nearest and major airport which has international and domestic flights to Paris. Another important airport is ‘Charles De Gaulle Airport’ (CDG / LFPG) which is situated about 32 km away from the city center.
- From CDG airport you can take the train to reach Eiffel Tower. The train there is known as *RER. From either Terminal 1 or 2 take the RER B towards Saint Remy des Chevreuses and stop at Saint Michel Notre Dame RER Station. From there take RER C to reach Champ de Mars and Eiffel Tower.
*RER: Réseau Express Régional/Regional Express Network
- Meanwhile, the fastest means to reach the Eiffel Tower is by hiring a cab or by your own vehicle. This hardly takes 31m to reach the destination.
- Apart from this, every 30min you will get a bus direct from the Paris Airport, it will drop you at Eiffel Tower within 52 mins.
Also Read: Mesmerizing Places to Visit In Mauritius
1. Secret Apartment: When Gustave Eiffel designed Eiffel Tower, he cleverly included a private apartment for himself on the third floor. In that private apartment, he has invited famous guests, like Thomas Edison and a few of his close friends. But now that secret apartment is open for public visits.
2. The Eiffel Tower’s Illuminations: The tower consists of 336 projectors provided with yellow & orange sodium lamps. Every evening, the tower is decorated with its golden covering and sparkles for 5 minutes every hour while its lighthouse shines over Paris.
3. Inspiration For Many: In the 1920s, it became the symbol of art and modernity. Many painters have described the beauty of the Eiffel Tower in their artwork. Similarly, it inspired many poets, writers, musicians and philosophers and many contemporary artists continue to use it as a model.
4. Centre For Events: Now it also hosts various shows and events, the most famous one is the Eiffel tower light show and ice skating rink.
So, you have gone through the article and I think the information provided in our blog is quite satisfactory for any traveller visiting Eiffel Tower. According to me the 2nd floor of Eiffel Tower is a great site to enjoy the picturesque view of Paris!! Just remember to visit early in the morning to avoid the crowd and to enjoy the sunrise panorama from the Eiffel Tower. After touring, share with us what you like the most in and around Eiffel Tower.