Swaminarayan Akshardham Temple is one of the most divine temples of India and it is located in Delhi, India. This Hindu temple depicts Indian culture, architecture and spirituality. Akshardham means the divine abode of God. This temple was constructed in 2005 for giving a tribute to “Bhagwan Swaminarayan” who belongs to the 18th century. A trip to the Akshardham temple is not only considered to be a pilgrimage tour, but also a historical journey that will leave you truly astonished. Explore the pilgrimage, peace and purity, nearby beautiful places and learn about devotional traditions. The spiritual traditions followed here are relics of 10,000 year old Indian culture. If you are touring Delhi, Akshardham Temple is a must.
Let’s discover the other aspects of Akshardham Temple
Point of Attractions At Akshardham Temple
There are many other things apart from the temple complex which you can view. There are many shows organized inside the temple for the audience to make them aware of the traditions and culture. Apart from this, water shows, cultural boat ride, IMAX film dedicated to the life of Swaminarayan is shown to the tourists.
The complex of this temple is very beautiful and is the main attraction. There are carved statues of dancers, deities and filled with flora and fauna. The special thing about the temple is that it is standing on 234 pillars with 9 domes and consists of 2000 deity statues. The whole temple is built with “Rajasthani Sandstone” and Italian “Carrara Marble”.
1. Hall of Values: Also known as “Sahajanand Darshan” shows the life of Swaminarayan with a robotics display. There are 3D figures that use light and sound effects, music and dialogues. This hall of values holds the smallest robot in the world of Shanshyam Maharaj, the child version of Swaminarayan.
2. Nilkanth Darshan: It is a theatre that shows pilgrimage undertaken by Swaminarayan. There is a large bronze statue of a Hindu deity outside the theatre.
3. Enjoy the cultural boat ride of 15min, on this ride you got to know the lifestyle of Indians during the Vedic period through robots. It also displays the world’s first university, Takshashila.
4. Yagnapurush Kund: Also known as the musical fountain, it is the largest stepwell in the country. In the morning, pilgrims rest there and later in the evening, a grand water show is organized for 24mins depicting the life of Hindu saints. The musical fountain includes water jets, underwater flames and live actors.
5. Premvati Ahargruh: Taste the best food at this food court which is located inside the temple. It is designed on the theme of Ajanta and Ellora caves.
6. Narayan Sarovar: Narayan Sarovar is a sacred water body surrounding the main Akshardham mandir. Narayan Sarovar contains the holy waters of 151 rivers and lakes pious by Bhagwan Swaminarayan, including Manasarovar, Pushkar Sarovar, Pampa Sarovar, Indradyumna Sarovar, Manikarnika Ghat, Prayag Triveni Sangam, River Kshipra, Rivers Ganga and the Yamuna and many others.
7. Bharat Upavan: It is also known the Garden of India spread in an area of 60 acres filled with bronze sculptures of the various genres like the deity, freedom fighters, warrior and national personalities of India.
Best Time To Visit
Akshardham Temple is open throughout the year. Walking through the temple is done barefoot so you can avoid the summer season. Similarly, the monsoon season is the worst time to visit the temple. The best time to visit the temple is the winter season, which starts in October and ends in February.
Best Months: February – April, August – November
It is better to visit during early hours of the evening, as you will have enough time to explore all the attractions and it will be easy for you to attend the musical fountain.
Modes of Reaching
The best way to reach the temple complex is through the metro train. But if you are traveling from other states of India then “Indira Gandhi International Airport” is the nearest airport, located about 21kms from the temple. The nearest metro station is “Akshardham”, which is right outside the temple.
You can also find buses, cabs and autos from various parts of the city to reach the temple.
Visiting Time & Other Details
There are some general details that everyone should know while visiting the Akshardham temple.
- Address: On NH 24, Akshardham Setu, Delhi, India
- Visiting Time: 9:30 AM to 8:00 PM From Tuesday to Sunday, Monday closed
- Aarti Timings: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Temple Entry Fee: Free
- Mobiles and Electronics: Not allowed
- Water Show: Sahaj Anand Water Show
- Exhibitions: 1) Sahaajand Darshan 2) Sanskruti Darshan 3) Neelkanth Darshan
Entry Fee Details: The exhibition tickets are sold between 10 AM and 5 PM.
Cost of Exhibition
Adult – ₹170, Children below 11 years – ₹ 100, Children below 4 years – Free
Senior Citizen – ₹125
Cost of Musical Fountain
Adult – ₹30, Children below 11 years – ₹20, Children below 4 years – Free
Places to Visit Near Akshardham Temple
Visiting Swaminarayan Akshardham in Delhi is a journey into the heart of ancient India. So, keep aside a day in your tour & explore this major attraction in the national capital.